The Subsidiary Diploma is the first year of the Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social Care, and is a practical, work-related course. Your assignments are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. As well as learning about the employment area you have chosen, you develop the skills you need to start a career. This qualification is equivalent to one A Level, which means that when you have finished the course you may choose to go into full-time employment.
180 to 240 guided learning hours
- Formal Teaching: 60 to 80 Hours (Lecturing, Tutoring, seminars and/or workshops)
- Directed Learning: 60 to 80 Hours (Discussion, Group Study, Advanced Reading, Research)
- Independent Learning: 60 to 80 hours (Extended research, working through core texts, preparing assignments)
BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma
Number of Modules
12 Months (Flexible)
Review of the Award
Once in a year by BIRD Academic Council
Students study a number of units including:
- Developing effective communication in Health and Social Care
- Equality, Diversity and Rights in Health and Social Care
- Health, Safety and Security in Health and Social Care
- Development through the Life Stages
- Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology for Health and Social Care
BIRD’s extended syllabus and study guideline include a list of books and journals for learners to should study on. Additionally, learners should collect BIRD’s specimen coursework and/or examination papers from their study centres. Registered learners can download these from BIRD Website after logging in.
You need four GCSE’s at grades A*-C with a C in either English or Maths and the other at a minimum grade D; or have completed a Level 2 BTEC Extended Certificate at Merit plus grade A*-C in either GCSE English or Maths and the other at a Minimum grade D. Successful interview and satisfactory reference are required plus a DBS police check for the placement.
What qualifications will I gain?
- BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Health and Social Care
Successful completion of the Subsidiary Diploma leads onto the second year and the Level 3 Diploma (equivalent to 2 A Levels). Alternatively you may go straight into employment where you could work and train in hospitals, nursing homes and health centres.
Please enquire at admission office to find out the fees on 07943874969 or fill the “Get Course Information Kit” form within this page. We’ll get back to you within 24 hours.
What should I do next?
For a free consultation call a Specialist Consultant on 07943874969.