Once you’ve identified the qualification you wish to do you’ll need to contact the college where you wish to study. The college will be able to confirm whether there are places available on the course, providing you with the information you’ll need to make a loan application. Use the information from the college to complete an application and submit this to Student Finance England.

No necessarily. You can get a paper application form from the college if you’re unable to complete the application online.

If you’re unsure about taking out a loan and want to seek independent financial advice then you’ll have the opportunity to do so. The Money Advice Service is a free and independent financial advice service established by the Government and will be able to provide you with help and advice. Visit their website at www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk.

If you’re unsure whether the course you’d like to take is right for you, then you can contact the National Careers Service website at www.nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk or call the helpline on 0800 100 900 for advice.

You’ll need to provide details of the:

  • course you wish to study;
  • college where you wish to study;
  • tuition fee you’re being charged; and
  • amount of loan you wish to take out.

Bright Education London will be able to provide you with these details.

In addition, you’ll be required to provide your personal details (name, address, etc) and evidence to confirm your identity.

For UK passport holders this will just be your valid UK passport details (not a physical passport).

If you’re a UK national but don’t hold a passport you’ll be asked to provide another form of evidence such as a UK birth certificate, which will be returned to you.

If you’re not a UK national you’ll need to provide physical identity evidence, as well as evidence that you’re a permanent resident inside the UK.

You’ll also need to provide a valid National Insurance number in order for the loan to be paid to the college on your behalf.

A National Insurance number is required in order for the loan to be paid to the college on your behalf. If you don’t have a National Insurance number you can still apply for a loan, Student Finance England will contact you if you need to do anything to obtain one. This may mean that you’ll need to arrange an appointment with your local Job Centre to have one assigned to you.

Yes. It’s possible to apply for a loan at any time during your course, but not after you’ve completed it.

If you wish to apply for a loan during your course, you’ll need to agree this with the college in advance, as you’ll already have discussed with them how you’re going to pay your fees. Deciding to take out a loan will change this arrangement.

The college will also need to provide you with information for you to complete your application.

Applications submitted online that don’t require any further supporting evidence (because you’ve provided your valid UK passport details) should be processed within 4-5 days.

All other applications should be processed within 2-4 weeks. The exact timing will be dependant on you providing correct application data and the relevant original identity evidence at the time of application.

No. Your loan application will last for the duration of the course, even when that course lasts for more than one year.

If you decide, before the start of your course, you no longer want to undertake your course or you don’t want to take out a loan for the course then you can simply contact Student Finance England. Student Finance England will be able to cancel your loan application, and you won’t have any loan to repay.

No loan payments will be made to your college on your behalf until you’ve attended the course for at least 2 weeks. If you leave the course after more than 2 weeks then you’ll be liable to repay the loan payments made on your behalf, which will be based on the length of time you attended the course.

24+ Advanced Learning Loans are administered by Student Finance England (SFE). Student Finance England is a Student Loans Company service, providing financial support to students on behalf of the UK Government.